Burgers, tacos to replace Hugh Jass

Renovation work continues on what used to be a Hugh Jass Burger restaurant located on the corner of Limestone and Avenue of Champions on Wednesday, June 10, 2015. Photo by Marcus Dorsey

By Jamilyn Hall

The corner of South Limestone and Avenue of Champions is seeing action. Not only is the corner under construction, but restaurants with creative names, great food and broader choices are moving in.

The beloved Hugh Jass burgers closed down at the end of the spring semester, and Noodles and Company moved into where E-Campus bookstore was previously located. However, instead of one business moving into the shell of Hugh Jass there will be two claiming the corner lot.

Street Craves is a new restaurant that will be serving street tacos, chopped salads and craft beer. And Freakin’ Unbelievable Burgers (nicknamed FU Burgers) is a franchise out of Michigan with two locations in Flint, Mich., and Farmington Hills, Mich.

At the two existing FU Burgers customers can build their own certified Black Angus burger cooked to the temperature they prefer. For those not a fan of Angus, or beef in general, FU serves veggie burgers, Portobello mushroom burgers and salmon burgers. Hopefully the quality ingredients and breakfast options (available in Flint, Mich.) take root at the South Limestone location.

Along with the opening of the restaurants, a patio will also be extended at the front of the restaurants. The patio will take up the current parking spaces in front of Noodles and Company. The patio has been missed since Hugh Jass closed down – what are a few beers without a great view of campus and sunshine?

With the two incoming restaurants, almost every type of cuisine will be available to students on one street corner – tacos, burgers, pasta – as well as Pazzo’s Pizza Pub’s pizza and extensive beer menu.

The building has been under construction since the end of the spring semester and the plan remains that the restaurants will open at the end of summer or during the fall semester. With the new white exterior and changes coming to the area, the corner of Avenue of Champions and South Limestone will be unrecognizable.