Campus-wide survey reports on sexual assault

The results from the mandatory 2014-15 Campus Attitude Towards Safety survey revealed that a small minority of students reported sexual assault to police.

The six-page survey, which was mandatory for all students this spring, provides a snapshot of safety at UK, which includes statistics of sexual violence and overall safety.

In total, 24,382 students participated in the survey and 1,053 reported they were sexually assaulted while attending UK.

Of students who reported sexual assault, just 30 told either UK Police or Lexington Police. A total of 694 reported the assault, while 444 did not.

Shortly after the findings were made public Monday morning, UK President Eli Capilouto released a campus-wide email that touched upon both negative and positive statistics revealed by this report.

“The preliminary results make clear we have much to be proud of; and we have much work still to do,” Capilouto said. “I assure you we will be aggressive in doing even more to protect the young women and men in our care.”

More than 98 percent of students surveyed said they feel safe on campus during the day. Only 77 percent feel safe at night.

The goal of the survey, conducted by the Center for Research on Violence Against Women, is to “promote student safety and cultural/institutional change regarding interpersonal violence and abuse on campus,” according to the report.

The 2014-15 survey was the first of five planned annual surveys. The survey results can be found here.

The Huffington Post published a report by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights in July of 124 colleges and 40 primary and secondary schools under investigation for how they handled sexual assaults on campus. UK was one of the institutions named in the report.

STAFF REPORT

Follow the Kentucky Kernel for more in- depth coverage on Sexual Assault on campus and this story.