Eat breakfast — it’s worth waking up early

September is better breakfast month, and what better way to create a routine schedule than by starting your mornings off right? Health classes have told us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Many of us brush off the idea of waking up earlier just to eat, because we all know sleep is more important — especially in college. However, wouldn’t it be better to sit through your Monday morning lecture without your stomach growling from hunger?

From one UK student, who actually doesn’t eat breakfast, to another, I always find that I am at ease and more concentrated when I stop by Patterson Office Tower for breakfast before class. Chewy bars are simple, but not exactly the best meal to wake up to. But breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated if it is laid out the night before.

For example, by only taking a couple minutes to make oatmeal (and let it steep on the way to class) one will be less likely to consume as much at lunch time. With a whole industry committed to breakfast foods, it is a lie to say that one doesn’t have time to get breakfast; they simply choose not to make it a priority.

An Australian survey of 500 teachers showed that students struggled with concentrating and behaving in class when they skip  breakfast. There is also a study from Harvard, with 27,000 participants, that showed men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.

As simple as waffles with peanut butter for protein, or fruit that can be grabbed on the way out the door, an increase in physical and mental health is definitely worth the sacrifice. Not only does our generation have the available resources for easy, quick breakfast choices, but also campus (and downtown Lexington) has great options as well. Tolly—Ho, Waffle House and First Watch (the healthier choice) are just some of the great places all on South Broadway that will fill the void in your morning routine.

Not only are sit-down restaurants a great place to start, but for those of you like me who can’t stop hitting the snooze button, quicker options fill campus. Donuts, bagels, breakfast sandwiches and scones are just the beginning of what campus has to offer.Just be on campus before 8:30 a.m., because breakfast lines tend to be horrendous as soon as the 9 a.m. rush hits.

Our university is filled with the future of our generation and therefore we need to be soaking up as much information as possible to make our future great.