Take a chance when registering for classes

At a university of more than 30,000 people, finding your niche can be a difficult task.

Between choosing a major and finding a friend group, it might seem easier to stay with what you’re comfortable with. Many students continue to hang out with their same high school friends, and stick with the major they come in with.

Now all that is perfectly fine, if that’s what you want to do, but for others who crave a bit of spice in their lives scheduling classes can be a world of opportunity.

One of the benefits of going to a university as large as UK is the dozens of majors and minors available to explore. That and our awesome basketball team and our soon-to-be-opened student center.

While core requirements may seem pointless, they are truly valuable. All students must take classes that explore 10 different categories — these range from science and math to humanities and creativity.

Every year the core requirement course list grows, providing more ways for students to explore new options. Shortly after its creation class subjects were limited, but now UK offers courses that apply to specific majors as well as fun electives.

When looking into next semester’s schedule, students should think about taking electives which will offer them a new perspective on the world, or choose something that might make them a little uncomfortable.

College isn’t just a time for making friends and passing classes, it’s a once-in a-lifetime opportunity to learn something new.

Taking intro to acoustic guitar gives everyone a chance to be a rock star for a semester and the history department will teach you everything they forgot to teach you in high school. You can learn about volcanoes, how to draw or about cultures across the world.

It’s super easy to take the standard classes as a part of UK core, but exploring unique classes could change your perspective, your life, or even your major. So when you’re scrolling through the registrar, check out a major you might not have thought of, regardless of what year you are.