UK Transportation offering shuttles to Fayette Mall

By Bethany Bruder

For students struggling with buying gifts during the holidays because of transportation problems, UK Parking and Transportation Services is offering an alternative.

PTS, in cooperation with the Student Government Association, is providing free bus shuttles to the Fayette Mall for students. On Sundays, Dec. 6 and 13, the shuttles will run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

“We know this is a stressful time of year and there is a lot to do, and we are hoping to help reduce some of the stress during the holidays,” PTS Marketing and Promotions Specialist Chrissie Tune said.

The shuttles will pick up students at locations throughout campus at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Passengers will be picked up near Macy’s entrance on the north side of the mallat 12 p.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

The shuttle is open to all students, and it was created for students who do not have the means to get to the mall on their own.

“The event has been going on for several years,” Tune said. “It was started to address a number of different needs — (students who) didn’t have a car or didn’t want to spend gas money sitting in traffic.”

Interested students need to request a pick up and return time using the reservation form on the PTS website no later than Friday at noon.

Students can choose to be picked up at one of seven locations:

—Commonwealth Village

—Greg Page Apartments Library

—Shawneetown Bus Stop

—Between Champions Court I and II on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard

—In front of Woodland Glen III on Sports Center Drive

—On the south corner of Woodland Glen IV

—Between Woodland Glen I and II

— At the University Drive entrance to W.T. Young Library

Alex Diamond, a doctoral computer science student who moved to Lexington from New York, said she will take the shuttle to help reduce her anxiety of driving.

“This really helps me out since Nicholasville can be difficult for me to drive on,” Diamond said. “Now, I am able to buy the gifts I need for my friends and family.”