SAB to bring Pinterest to life

By Tayler Riley

Students who spend a lot of time on social media looking up arts and crafts may want to pin the Student Activities Board’s upcoming event on their calendars.

SAB’s Campus Life Committee is hosting its second Pinterest Party at 6 p.m. Tuesday at The Hub in the W.T. Young Library.

Pinterest is a popular social media site that allows people to share images through reposting or “pinning.” Pinned images range in theme from health and fitness to art and architecture, among others.

SAB began hosting the event last September to give students a chance to express their creativity.

“I love to craft,” said Amanda Ricketts, a pre-law junior. “Pinterest is an easy way to find new and creative ideas.”

This year one of SAB’s focuses is getting students excited for the upcoming holidays. SAB will provide all of the materials, and those who participate can unfold their ideas on paper, canvases, frames, mugs, vases, ornaments and more.

“The first Pinterest Party was awesome,” said elementary education junior Jill Marks, SAB Director of Campus Life. “We actually ran out of supplies within the first hour — one of my favorite things … is seeing what everyone comes up with.”

SAB tries to connect students with the surrounding community with events, including get-togethers with prizes and free massages before midterms. According to its website, one of SAB’s primary goals is for students, faculty, staff and the rest of the Lexington area to connect with the university.

Business sophomore Valerie Rowe attended the last party and said she is excited for the next one.. “I can always use more decorations for my apartment,” she said.