Tyler feels natural at UK

FirstAATaylor.JPG

FirstAATaylor.JPG

From White Hall to White House, agriculture professor sees blue

For the month of February the Kernel will be telling the story of 29 notable African American Alumni. These features are in conjunction with the UK Alumni Association project “They Came Before: The Legacy of African-American Pioneers and Trailblazers at the University of Kentucky.”

From UK student to professor and administrator, Quentin Tyler has spent the better part of 18 years seeing blue. 

Tyler joined Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences as a student, but he stayed engaged as a professional. Tyler’s time with MANRRS proved to be substantial, and he is now the national president of more than 75 chapters across the U.S.

MANRRS is a nonprofit focused on establishing professional and academic relationships for minorities. The organization provides educational and networking opportunities through collegiate chapters and through a national conference held every year. 

Tyler said MANRRS conferences helped him get internships outside of Kentucky. 

As MANRRS’ president, Tyler travels across the nation for various speaking and networking engagements. Last week he traveled to Washington, D.C., to speak at the White House about minorities in agriculture. 

Tyler came to UK from his rural hometown of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, in 1998, searching for purpose through the pursuit of higher education. He received his bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics, and he later earned his master’s degree in agricultural economics as well as a Ph.D. in sociology. 

“I had several mentors who encouraged me to pursue higher education,” Tyler said.

Tyler said his time at UK was a time for exploration and forming meaningful relationships. Tyler was an resident adviser and a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., and he currently advises UK’s chapter. 

When Tyler isn’t traveling with MANRRS, he serves as assistant dean and director for diversity in the College of Agriculture. 

Tyler has seen the College of Agriculture grow in diversity, specifically through out-of-state students and female students. He also said that students are more aware of current events and are more focused on giving back to the community. 

“Students want to have a purpose,” Tyler said. 

One of the ways Tyler said this is done is through co-ops, which helped him see the benefits of agriculture. 

“I got to see the impact of (agriculture) on my community,” Tyler said.

By Lexinton Souers