Michigan WR Brian Cole Transfers to Kentucky

Jack Pilgrim

A former top 100 recruit in 2015 has decided UK would be his new home for the next four years.

Michigan freshman receiver Brian Cole has announced on Feb. 7 he would be transferring to UK this season after asking for his release from the Wolverines.

Out of high school, Cole received offers from some of the top schools in the nation such as Ohio State, Tennessee and Michigan State. 

Known as a high four star athlete and the 65th best player in the 2015 rankings, according to 247 sports, Cole was expected to make a major impact right away at Michigan, but his playing time decreased after suffering multiple early injuries. 

After getting back to health, Cole was already behind on the depth chart, and despite a late switch to play safety, decided he needed a fresh start.

Before Michigan’s bowl game, it was reported players and coaches were impressed with his performance in practice and felt he would be a key piece to the team in the future. Despite solid reviews, Cole felt it was time to part ways with the school and looked for a new destination to take his talents. 

Mark Stoops and staff heard news of Cole’s intentions, and immediately hit the recruiting trail in an effort to bring him to UK. Stoops was able to get him on campus for a visit this past weekend, and the rest was history.

Though the Saginaw, Michigan, native will have to sit out the 2016 season due to transfer rules, he will still have three more years of eligibility left. When he’s finally able to suit up for the Cats, he’s expected — but not guaranteed — to play safety in one of the most talented groups on the team. 

At 6-foot-2, 200 lbs., Cole gives UK yet another tall defensive back to work with. With his impressive history at receiver, Cole has fantastic quickness, athleticism and hands to help him transition well to safety at UK.

Adding Cole to a mix of talented safeties such as Mike Edwards, Darius West, Marcus Walker — and now with one more hole to fill after freshman Will Jackson was dismissed from the team — will likely give UK one of the best safety groups it’s had in recent history.