MLK Center to host conversation with Tatyana Ali, Amir Windom

Tatyana Ali will talk to students at Memorial Hall on Wednesday at 7 p.m. (lde) 2005

Melody Foree

Since his first appearance at UK in 2014, Grammy Award winning record executive Amir Windom has wanted to inspire students through engaging lectures.

He comes back to campus Wednesday to do just that during the Martin Luther King Center’s CONVO Series “Progression Towards Success” with special guest Tatyana Ali.

Ali is known for playing Ashley Banks in the 90s sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” and her R&B music career.

Windom uses his personal and professional relationships to bring many moguls to the university.

“I came to speak and inspire the students at UK a few years back, and I left the campus inspired by them to do more. They were so engaging, so hungry for knowledge,” Windom said, “This event is one of many cool impactful things I’ve partnered with the MLK Center on with the goal of enhancing the lives and mentalities of UK students.”

Ali and Windom will discuss topics such as self-image, women’s empowerment, academic destiny and self-awareness.

Director of the MLK Center Kahlil Baker said he and Windom are working together to help provide meaningful programs here on campus. Baker said he hopes this event is one people can learn from, and that it engages the audience unlike a typical lecture.

Students are able to ask questions and participate in the conversation through a live mic or Twitter wall.

“We’re going to create sort of a fish bowl conversation,” Baker said. “They’ll be talking to each other instead of someone just giving a lecture.”

The MLK Center hopes to create a balance by providing programs where students are able to identify with the speaker. Popular speakers will appeal to students’ interest and encourage them to listen to what the speakers have to say. A balance of speakers who can provide substance that students can learn from is the goal, according to Baker.

“My hope is for people to come and listen to the conservation and take some things that they might be able to apply to their personal and professional lives, but also that they engage with these folks while we have them on campus,” Baker said.

The “Progression Towards Success” will be held in Memorial Hall on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Next month the MLK center will continue the CONVO Series with Amir Windom and actor Malik Yoba.