UK alumnus experienced the desegregation period in campus history

Lexington Souers

In 1963, black and white students were able to eat off campus meals together for the first time. Willis Bright attended UK from 1962 to 1964, and said the university was a “very white institution.” 

“UK was very Kentucky,” Bright said, explaining that the university lacked diversity as far as a student body. 

Local institutions were still segregated, and it wasn’t until Gov. Bert Combs issued an executive order and opened campus and community establishments to all races. 

“There were individuals who were most welcoming,” said Bright, while noting there were also students who were not as receptive.

Bright lived at home, but said that people who lived in dormitories might have had different experiences. Even though students were welcome at sporting events, UK still played Dixie at football games, and many students never attended. 

Bright attended Henry Clay High School, and then decided on UK for college. He never intended to stay in Kentucky for graduate school, and went on to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

He said his experiences at the two schools were very different. Bright then entered the U.S. Army and later went on to work in academia and has since retired and owns a consulting business in Indianapolis.  

At UK, Bright was involved in a myriad of student activities, such as Student Government Association and Student Centennial Committee. 

Bright said his involvement in the UK community came from an effort to create opportunities of change, and from his parents advice to “make any place you are a bit better by your being there.” 

While Bright said he didn’t have any hostile experiences, he did face discrimination from organizations, like the men’s choir at the Baptist Student Ministry. Bright and several others were active in the choir, but were asked to not to attend a Southeastern tour of several states because they were worried about how the black members would be received.

“They chose not to confront that,” Bright said. 

He said that instead of standing up and having courage, the adults in charge bowed to the racism of the time. 

Bright said he hopes UK continues to provide scholarships and service learning opportunities. 

Service learning is something he said helps “to ground what you’re learning into practice,” and that it is a privilege for the university and it’s students to serve it’s community. 

Bright said he also hopes the knowledge that is generated by a university can be used to solve the complex issues that we have, and he is hoping that his involvement with the Alumni Board will aid the university. 

Bright said UK should make a point “to make sure it creates an atmosphere that all students, regardless of background feel welcome.”