Three cases of mumps confirmed at UK

Mumps+illustration

Mumps illustration

News Staff

Three patients tested positive for mumps after health officials began seeing a cluster of students with swollen salivary glands, UK administration confirmed Friday night.

The campuswide email said UK health officials are working with the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department and the Kentucky Department of Public Health to investigate the cluster of cases.

Mumps is a viral disease caused by the mumps virus, which primarily affects the salivary glands causing swelling, according to information from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms include puffy and swollen jaw and cheeks, fever, headaches, muscle aches, fatigue, and loss of appetite.

UK officials encourage students with swollen salivary glands to schedule an appointment with University Health Service for evaluation. Potentially infected students are encouraged to avoid prolonged close contact with other people for five days and miss school and work if necessary.

The measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is the most effective way to prevent mumps, and health officials encourage students to either get vaccinated or confirm that they have previously been vaccinated.

UHS is working to procure enough vaccines for students who need new or updated vaccinations, the email said.

Students can schedule an appointment with UHS through the Student Health Link on the My UK portal or by calling 859-323-2778 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

UK officials said they will keep students updated on the situation.