From seeing blue, to crying blue

Screenshot from Saturday’s UK vs. IU second round game on CBS Broadcast

Lexington Souers

UK band member Taylor Hunt went from mathematics and economics senior to internet star overnight. She’s appeared on “Inside Edition,” “Good Morning America” and “Wakin’ Up! RadioNow.”

Hunt was caught by cameras crying over her saxophone during UK’s second round loss to Indiana University during the Men’s NCAA Tournament. 

She’s now the subject of a variety of Twitter memes, and even has her own parody Twitter account. 

“The entire game was really intense, and I guess at that moment — I think it was between foul shots from Alex Poythress — there was just like a dead moment, and I just kind of lost it,” Hunt said. “I was like, ‘This is my last game. It’s their last game,’ and I just really wanted them to win.” 

After footage of Hunt aired she said she immediately received “at least 15 text and Twitter messages.” 

“My sister texted me and she was like, ‘Wow, you’re that girl,’” Hunt said.

Along with the Twitter and media attention, Hunt said she’s gotten personal stories from fans. One story came from a bartender in Texas, who messaged her on Facebook to tell her she started crying after seeing Hunt in tears. 

Hunt’s Spainsh professor also mentioned her TV appearance, and she told Hunt that friends in Spain had seen the screenshot of Hunt. While most people have been positive, some have not.

Hunt began playing the saxophone as a sixth grader and continued throughout high school and all four years of college. Despite attending UK for another semester, this was her last year in marching band. 

“I’ve always wanted to go to UK, because my mom’s a UK fan, my Dad’s a UK fan, so it means a lot,” Hunt said. 

Director of Athletic Bands Scott-Lee Atchison has known Hunt since her freshman year and described her as a cheerful, well-liked member of the band.

“She bleeds blue,” Atchison said. “She’s been a Cats fan forever.”

Atchison said that his favorite memory of Hunt was after the 2014 Men’s NCAA Tournament loss to the University of Connecticut, when she met rapper Drake after the game. Upset and starstruck, Atchison said Hunt told Drake her name was “Tayto” instead of Taylor. 

“I think the kids in the band typically live and die with the successes of the team,” Atchison said. 

The involvement required for band, whether it’s practice or attending various sporting events, is something Hunt said has made her a bigger fan. 

“You feel like you’re a part of it, not just a spectator, but you’re a part of the experience,” Hunt said.

Hunt said that the experience of an NCAA Tournament is unique because there are so many different teams and they’re all rooting against UK. 

“There were 8 teams going into Des Moines this weekend, and they were all cheering against UK,” Hunt said.

Hunt is still in tournament mode. She will be playing at the NCAA Women’s Sweet Sixteen game later this week.

“I really like Kentucky,” Hunt said. “I’ll be a Wildcat fan no matter what.”