Latest trends on display in UK fashion show

RTM Fashion show

RTM Fashion show

Taylor Caponigro

UK students will walk the runway Thursday night, and patrons won’t have to go to New York City to catch a glimpse of the latest trends.

The UK Retailing Tourism and Management Department is hosting their Spring 2016 Fashion Show on Thursday at the Lyric Theatre and Cultural Arts Center.

The RTM Spring 2016 Fashion Show is run by students in order to gain real life experience on how to manage and organize a fashion show.

The students have been working under the guidance of Tracy Lu, assistant professor of hospitality management and tourism, Mika Pryor and Scott Meuret, both a merchandising, apparel, and textiles lecturers.

Students, who are acting both as models and organizers, planned the fashion show.

RTM students will be modeling looks from local boutiques and retail stores in Lexington. All the stores are providing one-to-four outfits per model that will be returned once the show has ended. The models for the show had their first official practice Monday afternoon.

“I am so excited for the fashion show this Thursday because there is no real pressure … everyone is just there to have fun,” said Michelle Knezovic, a journalism and fashion freshman.

The models are not the only ones devoting a majority of their time constantly planning for the show. The HMT 570, MAT 237 and HMT 308 classes do the work of the Color Me Spring Fashion Show.

Students in these classes have spent the semester in preparation for the show Kentucky Springtime: The Unbridled Look of the Unbridled Spirit.

Avery Malone, an academic coordinator, has also been helping with the show.

“We are looking forward to seeing students as well as alumni and community members,” Malone said.

Along with organizing the clothing and models for the event, students have planned all the sound and lighting and helped style the models to find appropriate looks.

“They have worked out every facet of the show,” Malone said.

Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. for the silent auction, but the show stars at 7:00 p.m. Student tickets are $10.