Coffee, corned beef, beer and bikes

Located on 800 N Limestone, Broomwagon has been open since August 2015.

Jamilyn Hall

A place for bikes, coffee, food and beer has become a second home for James Gonyer, co-owner of Broomwagon. Located on North Limestone, the business has been open since last August and is interesting to say the least.

Lexington already had bikes shops when Broomwagon wanted to open. Goyner and his partners knew their business would need to be unique.

“We wanted to do something to differentiate ourselves from the rest of it and we wanted to keep ourselves busy in the winter time, since bike shops do die off around that time,” Gonyer said. “So we figured partnering it with coffee and beer would keep us going in the winter and make it a place you can kind of hangout instead of it being just a cold retail environment.”

The coffee shop also sells food items like sandwiches. Gonyer said one of the more popular items is the Rueben, where they make the corned beef from scratch. Also, they have a grilled cheese including lemon zest and basil.  

“We feel like having a coffee shop in a bike shop makes it a more comfortable and inviting place,” Goyner said.

According to Gonyer, this way of business makes it acceptable for customers to interact with other bicyclists and ask questions and swap stories, which in return kills the retail environment vibe.  

“We are actually a title sponsor of (Transylvania University’s) bike program, called Transy Bikes,” Gonyer said. “It’s kind of like Wildcat Wheels that UK has.”

Gonyer said that students are customers of his and that Broomwagon is trying to get involved in the Bike Voucher program at UK, which encourages UK students and employees to consider alternative methods from driving a vehicle to campus. According to UK Parking and Transportation Services website, UK will give up to 100 qualified students and employees each four $100 vouchers to a participating local bicycle shop.

While Broomwagon is definitely different from your average bike shop, they are also unique from any other coffee shop in Lexington.

“If you like coffee you can come explore bikes. If you like bikes you can come explore coffee and beer,” Gonyer said. “We have a good food menu and we do brunch on the weekends.”

And incase you were wondering just where the business got their name, the term broom wagon means the final support car in a road bike race, and is fitting for the business.

“We are taking on the name and supporting people to get to the finish line with service,” Goyner said.

Broomwagon is hosting the Honkytonk Bicycle Ride on June 11 at 6 p.m., a country western theme ride starting at the business and going to the Legacy Trail and back.

To check out Broomwagon go here, or stop by at 800 N Limestone from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the weekends.