Clinton speaks in Lexington prior to Tuesday’s Primary

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton addresses a crowd at Transylvania University on May 16, 2016. On the eve of the Kentucky Democratic primary in 2008, Clinton spoke to a crowd at Transylvania University.

Marc Thomas

Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton took her campaign to Lexington Monday evening to share her ideas to run the nation if she wins the election in November.

In a last push for Kentucky’s delegates, the former secretary of state hoped to win over the hearts of Democrats in the Bluegrass again as she did in the state’s 2008 Democratic primary.

Instead of taking jabs at her Democratic opponent, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Clinton had the entire Republican Party in her crosshairs.

“They don’t think we need to raise the minimum wage, they don’t think that equal pay is a problem that needs to be addressed, they don’t believe in more infrastructure, they think we’ve lost the battle for manufacturing and they don’t believe in climate change,” she said.

Clinton expressed interest in discussing major issues with presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump if she clinches her party’s nomination.

Soon thereafter, Clinton took a few jabs at Trump, suggesting the real-estate tycoon lacked solutions for problems facing Americans. She believes voters will realize this and see which candidate has the best interests of the voters at heart.

“We’re going to figure out who has your back when it comes to the economy and the same is true for education,” she said.

Education, which was a major theme in the 2016 presidential election, was an unavoidable topic during the rally as it was held at the oldest college in Kentucky.

For Kearstin Bruther, a psychology and sociology student at Transylvania University, Clinton’s promise to provide more accessible education stood out the most.

“I think more people should have the opportunity to be educated,” Bruther said. “I think she can do a lot with education.”

Clinton said students should be able to attend community college free of charge and the ultimate goal is to make college debt free.

Anna McDonald, a Spanish and psychology major at Transylvania University, believes affordability should not determine whether a person has the chance to continue their learning past high school.

“People may want to be educated after high school but they don’t really have the option because school is so expensive,” McDonald said. “Everyone should have the opportunity if they want to be more educated; I think (college) should be available to everyone.”

In Tuesday’s primary, Kentucky’s registered Democrats will determine if Clinton’s journey throughout the commonwealth recently will help her to win the state as she did in 2008. On the eve of the Democratic primary that year, Clinton spoke to a crowd at Transylvania University.

Voters can cast their ballots until 6 p.m.