Changes to Code of Student Conduct made

McKenna Horsley

After a long review of the Code of Student Conduct, the UK Board of Trustees approved several revisions to the code. 

During a Friday morning meeting of the board’s Academic and Student Affair’s committee, the committee approved changes to the code which include:

• Defining the code’s scope
  • Ensuring the code complies with the most recent federal and state laws, such as the Clery Act and Title IX
  • Adding a formal amnesty policy so students who may have used an illegal substance can request medical attention for themselves or another person
  • Including UK’s affirmative consent policy
  • Adding a cyberbullying policy

Students can report incidents of bias to the Violence Intervention and Prevention Center and receive help from the center with the new revisions. The dean of students will review reports and decide if a policy was violated. 

“Throughout this time, we have been very grateful for the relationship and the work that was able to be done with administration and students,” former Student Government Association President Austin Mullen said during the meeting.

These changes are the first to be made to the code since 2010. The Regulations Review Committee and several student groups, such as the Student Government Association have been involved in the revisions. The vetting process for the revisions has gone on for almost two years. 

“We undertake a regular review of our Code of Student Conduct to improve the health, safety and success of the University of Kentucky,” President Eli Capilouto said in a press release. “The changes within – guided by feedback from students, faculty, staff and community members – will improve the safety and climate of the campus community.”

The previous Code of Student Conduct can be read on the Dean of Student’s website here. Read more about the results of UK Board of Trustee meetings on Friday morning and afternoon