UKCC hosts health checks

By Alex Brinkhorst

In times of crisis, many do not know where to turn. 

The UK Counseling Center has the skills and tools to help students in their hour of need. This year it is unveiling brand new programs specializing in helping others. 

The center is putting on several events, such as a talk about mental health from Hakeem Rahim, a Harvard graduate and a public speaker who has testified before Congress, his website said. 

He will speak about how he overcame mental health problems with acceptance and seeking help. 

Also, the center will have a recess event hosted at Woodland Glen. Students can de-stress and participate in National Depression Screening Day with one of the campus-wide mental illness screenings. 

“Last year we had screened nearly 300 individuals,” wrote Megan Marks, the senior staff psychologist and outreach coordinator. 

Related: Editorial: Depressed students are not alone, can seek help on campus

Along with these events, the UKCC has created new workshops, such as the “Let’s Talk” program, which is a drop-in consultation outside of the UKCC in locations spread throughout campus. 

Another new meeting is the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder group for students who might have symptoms of OCD. 

On Mondays, the People of Color Support Group will meet. The group was formerly called Women of Color Support Group. 

UKCC will host the Bounce Back Workshop, which focuses on resiliency skills for students dealing with mental illness. 

Volunteers will also be gathering at least once a month to help work with two therapy dog organizations and “Navigating Masculinity,” which welcomes all students who currently identify as male. 

Navigating through mental health issues is a challenging and difficult process, but the UKCC is well equipped and more than ready to help. 

Related: Students with social anxiety should not feel alone on campus