Draw ’til you drop with UK Drawing Club

Dominique Page

The UK Drawing Club will be hosting an event this Friday September 30th called “Draw ’til You Drop” at the UK School of Arts and Visual Studies. 

The drawing club is a newly formed club at the University of Kentucky. Brandon Smith, UK faculty adviser for the Drawing Club, described the purpose of the club.

“Our goals and ambitions are to engage unique and interesting drawing opportunities. This is our first activity and we intend to make this an annual event,”  Smith said.  

This event will be an all-day event and attendees will be asked to endorse drawing as an artistic activity. Artists will be able to draw clothed and nude models in two- or three-hour blocks. A silent auction celebrates the art form, along with drawing blocks for participants.

The UK Drawing Club wants to express the process of making art and what artwork can lead to. There will be 25 available spots to draw and students will be able to auction off their work. The profits made from the students’ artwork will be split with the Drawing Club. 

“We will have 25 stations set up for drawing throughout the day,” Smith said. “Additionally, we have 14 people who have stated their interest in attempting the entire eleven hours of drawing. Some of these are students and some are drawers from the community. So the total number of participants could be 25, 50 or more throughout the day.”

Students can expect to challenge themselves to whatever level they would like begin at in this process. They will also be able to have an opportunity to draw from models and sharpen their drawing and observational skills. Students who are interested in improving their artwork or are interested in artwork at all are welcome to attend and gain experience.

This event is free, but participants are encouraged to supply their own drawing materials. Those who don’t have a supply of paper will have a chance to use paper that is supplied by the UK Drawing Club until it is depleted.

Having some type of experience for this event isn’t needed. Students from any type of skill level are welcome. 

“I think we will find a broad range of experience, technical mastery and expressive interests,” Smith said. 

Start time for “Draw ’til You Drop” will be from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. There will be different activities going on as this is the first annual event and the UK Drawing Club would like for this to continue. The silent auction will be held at 8 p.m. and a decent sized crowd is expected to be there. 

This event will be located in the Art and Visual Studies Building in room 225.