UK Woman’s Club to welcome new members with cups of coffee

UK Woman’s Club logo.

Margaret Cashman

A UK club that is over 100 years old will welcome new members with cups of coffee Tuesday.

UK Woman’s Club is hosting a Welcome Coffee on Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Signature Club of Lansdowne.

The UK Woman’s Club “is committed to supporting our campus and students, while sharing common interests and enjoying social connections with others from all across our campus and town-and-gown communities,” their website said.

The UKWC is both a social and a philanthropic club. Originally started in 1909 as a faculty wives club, the UKWC has grown to 225 members, and they are excited to welcome any and all new women this fall.

Jean Miller, the membership co-chair, said the club has enriched her life, “through the opportunity to develop lasting friendships, learn new things, enjoy social activities, and most importantly, know that I am supporting our philanthropic efforts to make a positive difference in the lives of UK students.”

Miller is now retired but earned her doctoral degree from the College of Education in special education administration. The UKWC has a variety of interest groups including “Needlework,” “Gone Golfing” and “Cooking with Friends.” The themes of their interest groups change based on the response of their members, some past themes include: gardening, theatre, international relations and a newcomer’s group.

The UKWC has published four cookbooks to date.

“The first in 1947 titled ‘Stay for Tea,’ in honor of Frances Jewell McVey, wife of Past-President Frank McVey,” Miller said. “She was an avid supporter of education and was known for welcoming guests into Maxwell Place and inviting them to stay for tea.”

The proceeds of their cookbooks and events go to help the Student Aid fund as well as their scholarship and fellowship awards available to UK students. The annual membership fee is $25.

All interested new members are encouraged to go to the Welcome Coffee to socialize and speak with representatives of the club, also included is a light lunch. More information is available on their website ukwc.org, where potential members can also sign up.