Fox named to Cousy Award preseason watch list

De’Aaron Fox shoots during warm up drills during Big Blue Madness on Friday, October 14, 2016 at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky..

Kevin Erpenbeck

Kentucky freshman De’Aaron Fox was one of 20 candidates named to the Bob Cousy Award preseason watch list on Monday. The award is given every year by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the top point guard in the country.

UK has recent history with the award. Last year, Tyler Ulis became the first Wildcat to earn the honor after averaging 17.3 points and 7.0 assists per game. Ulis also won the SEC Player of the Year award that season. 

Fox was a Naismith High School Player of the Year finalist coming out of Cypress Lakes High School and was ranked the No. 6 overall player in the country going into college. Fox also played in the McDonald’s All American Game and was named co-MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic with current UK teammate Malik Monk.

Fox was the only SEC point guard named to the list and one of five freshmen on the 20-candidate list. 

The winner of the Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award will be named on April 7 during the ESPN College Basketball Awards Show Los Angeles.