Cats prepare for first exhibition game against Clarion

Freshman guard De’Aaron Fox scores a basket during the Blue and White Scrimmage at Rupp Arena on Friday, October 21, 2016 in Lexington, Ky. Blue Team defeated the White Team 110-94. Photo by Lydia Emeric | Staff 

Bailey Vandiver

The UK men’s basketball team begins its season on Sunday. In the first of two exhibition games, the Cats face Clarion University, head coach John Calipari’s alma mater, for the second time since Calipari became head coach. 

When the teams last played, in November 2009, UK won 117-52. 

Calipari is once again coaching young players, many of whom will play collegiate opponents other than their own teammates for the first time on Sunday. The Blue-White scrimmage displayed the talents of these freshmen, such as Malik Monk’s dunks. 

However, the defense in the scrimmage lagged a bit as the players allowed their teammates to show off, so it will be interesting to see the defense in action against Clarion as well as how the Cats perform offensively.

Despite a somewhat relaxed defense, the scrimmage got a little rough, causing freshman Sacha Killeya-Jones to miss much of the game with a busted eye. Killeya-Jones will attempt to make up for lost time in Sunday’s game and showcase what fans can expect from him this season.

The game will also serve as the first opportunity for redshirt freshman Tai Wynyard to get some time on the court in a UK uniform. Though he sat out of the Blue-White scrimmage because of a cheek injury, he returned to practice Monday. 

Sophomore Isaac Humphries also missed the scrimmage because of an injury, in his case minor knee soreness. Both he and Wynyard are currently listed as day-to-day.

In the limited action that fans have seen of the team, the guards have been the biggest story to come out.

The guards dominated the Blue-White scrimmage, but on different teams. For the first time on Sunday, they will play as a unified backcourt, likely with another three-guard starting lineup for the Cats. Sophomore Isaiah Briscoe will be joined by Monk and De’Aaron Fox, with senior Dominique Hawkins likely first off the bench. 

“I’m looking forward to it because I’ve played with Malik all summer since Coach has had the freshmen together, but I wasn’t able to play on the same team as Isaiah much, so I’m excited to play with him,” Fox said. “It might be difficult at the beginning because we haven’t really played with each other, but I feel like it will be fun and make it easier for me.”

Incumbent guard Briscoe impressed by leading all scorers with 39 points in the scrimmage, but his battle with Fox made that idea of the two playing together all the more enticing as the freshman showed his defensive chops coming away with five steals and two blocks. Add in the aforementioned dunks and overall athletic display from Monk, and fans are in for a treat watching the trio take the court together for the first time against Clarion.

Though only in an exhibition, the Cats look for a strong start to their season Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. in Rupp Arena.