Handling of election by ‘tolerant’ colleges seen by some as intolerant

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump waves goodbye to the crowd during a rally at the Kentucky International Convention Center in Louisville, Ky. on Tuesday, March 1, 2016. Photo by Michael Reaves | Staff.

Madison Rexroat

It’s no secret that the recent presidential election of Donald Trump has upset several people, causing protests, conflicts, and even hate crimes. In such a time of change, college students seem to be some of the most vocal about their dissatisfaction, and colleges are responding accordingly.

However, according to an opinion piece in USA Today College, some of these responses have been too easy on students. 

According to the article, the University of Michigan Law School held a “post-election self-care” event where they provided coloring sheets, play dough, Legos and bubbles. Stanford emailed students about psychological counseling that was available, and some schools even cancelled exams.

While these responses can be seen as juvenile, they can also be seen as marginalizing to students who did vote for Trump. “Safe spaces” and other actions that colleges have taken suggest to students that they voted for the “wrong” candidate, that their opinion is invalid, or that they are not a welcome part of the campus community. Of course, some might argue that that is how many people feel after Trump’s election, but that’s another conversation. 

While reminders of diversity and inclusion are certainly needed on college campuses, political subtext can undermine the values that they are trying to promote.

To read the full piece on USA Today College, click here.