College career offices in need of improvement

Madison Rexroat

In a new study by the Gallup-Purdue Index, it was found that only half of college graduates visited their school’s career-services office, and few found it helpful.

Even though career offices are more frequently visited than ever, the services offered aren’t as beneficial as they could be, especially in an environment saturated with rising tuitions, job anxiety and student debt.

The study found that regardless of school type (public vs. private), students are unsatisfied with – or even unaware of – their campus career office. 49 percent of first-generation students visited their office at least once, and only 44 percent of transfer students visited theirs. Meanwhile, 55 percent of non-first-generation students visited their career office.

Minority graduates were more likely to visit their school’s career offices, with more than six in 10 black, Asian and Hispanic graduates visiting and five in 10 white graduates visiting. Graduates who visited their career office were also more likely to be employed full time. 

Of those graduates who did visit their career office, many would have liked to have had more personalized assistance rather than basic tips for resumes and interviews. They also wanted a wider range of contacts rather than just locals, and they wished the office’s hours were more convenient.

“We’ve been obsessed with admissions,” said Brandon Busteed, Gallup’s head of education and workforce development. “We kind of drop the ball on the other end.”

Read the full article by The Atlantic here