Campus march protests immigration ban

Richard Childress

“No ban, no wall, peace and love for all,” marchers shouted as they walked through campus Thursday afternoon.

A student-led march opposing President Trump’s immigration ban executive order was open to all UK students, faculty and staff.

The march was in conjunction with a series of other student-led protests in universities across the nation. The march began at the Don & Cathy Jacobs Science Building, and then proceeded around campus.

“The main idea behind the march is of course to protest the executive order but to also show that we, as the UK community, value the principles of inclusion and compassion,” psychology junior Ranym Nenneh said. Nenneh is an international student from Syria and the coordinator of the march.

Marchers had roots all over the world, like biology junior Shane Peter D’Souza, who was born in India and raised in Dubai.

“The executive order affects people from many Muslim countries but also many of us who were born and raised there but are not necessarily Muslim are also apprehensive about heading back home and seeing our families,” said D’Souza.

Some students, like Cameron Tyrrell, a doctoral student focusing on gender and women’s studies, found the march to be another key protest in the movement against many of President Trump’s new policies.

“Just because a Democrat is not in the Oval Office does not mean you get to lie down and take eight years or four years off,” Tyrrell said. “You have to be constantly showing up, especially in a state that is as red as Kentucky.”

Nenneh said that many students and faculty are affected by this ban.

“I just feel like as an academic institution we have a voice and we need to use that to our advantage,” Nenneh said.