Evaluations determine a life of service or companionship

Wildcat Service Dogs is a student-run organization that raises, trains and educates the public about service dogs. Taken March 29, 2017. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Kat Manouchehri

Wildcat Service Dogs is hosting potential trainer and potential sitter evaluations over the course of the next two weeks. Evaluations are held once a week for two weeks each semester to prepare for the upcoming semester.

Potential trainers and sitters attend different classes where they learn about the club, their policies and the way they should handle dogs.

“We also really focus on educating the public about the rights of service dogs, how to act and treat service dogs, things like that,” WSD President Kayla Mullins said.

The evaluations are separated into two different events, and then a final interview the following week for the potential trainers.

“We have two different events. One is in a training class format, which our dogs attend a training class every week. Then one is in a socialization outing format where they go out in public and learn how to handle the dogs,” Mullins said.

Evaluations are meant for the potential trainers and sitters to display skills they have learned in the different classes, such as if they know how to walk the dog properly on a leash and if they know how to address a stranger when they approach them in public.

“We look for someone that, in both a trainer and a sitter, always remains respectful, especially when they are approached by a stranger,” Mullins said.

Other qualities the organization looks for in prospects are confidence, patience, a calm demeanor, ability to handle criticism and a willingness to learn.

On average, WSD has about six to eight dogs in their program at a time. This year, there are eight, which is on the higher side, according to Mullins.

The program for the dog and their trainer is a year long. The dog will typically have the same trainer throughout the program, until they go through the final steps of graduation.