University of Kentucky Student Government Association election results announced

Student Government Association president and vice president. President Ben Childress (right), an economics senior, and vice president Elizabeth Foster (left), an electrical engineering junior, posed for a photo near Bradley Hall at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. 2017 file photo. Photo by Joshua Qualls | Staff

Kalie Marantette

The Student Government Association’s election results were announced outside of Bowman’s Den on March 3.

The SGA college senators, undergraduate Senator-At-Large, graduate Senator-At-Large positions, the Vice President and President were announced at 7 p.m. with a crowd that was anxious to hear the results.

The results for SGA led to Ben Childress for President and Elizabeth Foster for Vice President, 15 students for SGA undergraduate Senator-At-Large positions and 26 SGA college senators representing 16 different colleges on campus.

“The election was stressful because of the lack of ticketing, individual senators had to go out and campaign for themselves and we couldn’t support a presidential candidate, which wasn’t great because I wanted to support the presidential campaign, but it was a great experience getting to campaign for myself,” Senator-At-Large Brady Ekman said.

Ben Childress spoke about his goals for his term as President.

“The biggest goal is to just try and unify campus through student government, and I think the student government has strong potential to be a vessel for student leaders from across campus to come together and form that dialogue that needs to happen,” Childress said. 

Childress has some strong goals for the future that include working with parking and transportation to expand free ride home services, working with LexTran to get better bus routes, working to get a fall break on the calendar, more funding for childcare grants and maybe trying to add a couple of senate spots.

“It was a ton of work and I am so thankful for everyone that helped out and I am happy to have an opportunity to serve this community,” Childress said.

The Student Government Association has a lot planned for the university and is looking forward to the upcoming year.