Should freshmen be required to live on campus? It enhances the experience

Saadia Akhtar

As a neuroscience major, I need all the sleep I can get. That is why I love living on campus- I get up ten minutes before class and still make it with time to spare. 

Living on campus may not be cheaper than off-campus housing, but it definitely has its perks. 

Multiple studies have found that undergraduates who live on campus have higher grades, higher retention rates and higher overall rates of success.

Living on campus makes it easier for students to be involved in extracurriculars and attend university-sponsored events. 

UK is unique as it is one of the only universities in Kentucky that does not have an on-campus housing requirement, not even for underclassmen. 

This is why I am in favor of UK potentially implementing housing requirements for the undergraduate population. It may annoy students in the short term, but it will help them in the long run. 

Requiring students to live on campus for all four years seems too extreme, so imposing the requirement for freshmen and sophomores seems sufficient.

These are the years when undergraduates find their groove and niche in college. It is in these years that they build their work ethic and find their squad. 

By living off campus, students face difficulties adjusting to the college atmosphere and struggle to make friends. 

With my dorm being so close to the library, I have been able to build good study habits my first year of college. I also met one of my best friends in my residence hall. 

Many other colleges require certain students to live on campus. 

The University of Louisville requires freshmen to live on campus, while Western Kentucky University, Murray State University and Eastern Kentucky University require both freshmen and sophomores to live on campus. 

Of course, there are exceptions: if you are married, your home is within 50 miles of campus, or if you are older than 21, then you are exempt from this requirement. 

Living on campus facilitates student growth and allows for greater undergraduate involvement on campus. It lets you  get up ten minutes before class. And most importantly- it allows you to make the most of your college experience. 

Email opinions@kykernel.com.