UK football practice report: Aug. 4

Running back Benny Snell Jr. #26 of the Kentucky Wildcats carries the ball for a short gain during the first half of the TaxSlayer Bowl against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at EverBank Field on Saturday, December 31, 2016 in Jacksonville, Florida. Photo by Addison Coffey | Staff.

Chris Leach

Before UK football’s annual Fan Day on Saturday, the Cats gathered at Kroger Field for a late morning practice on Friday. Select players were available for interviews after the practice, and here’s what they had to say.

Lynn Bowden update 

Before practice was over at approximately 11 a.m., coveted freshman Lynn Bowden was spotted walking into the football training facility. This was the first time Bowden has been spotted on campus since training camp began.

However, a UK spokesperson offered no additional updates on Bowden’s status with the team, and was not made available for interviews after practice.

While it’s encouraging to see Bowden at the football facilities, this sighting offers no new update to Bowden’s eligibility. Bowden has been on campus for a while now, and it’s likely that this isn’t his first visit to the training facilities.

Expect more updates to come later in the camp.

Benny Snell has big goals for his sophomore campaign.

Every year athlete’s make goals for themselves, and the same is true for Benny Snell.

The now sophomore set six UK freshman records last season, including most rushing yards by a freshman (1,091) and most rushing touchdowns by a freshman (13). When asked what his goals were for this season, Snell didn’t offer much insight, except he wants to improve.

“One of them I’ll let you know is I’m definitely trying to run more yards than I did last year,” Snell said.

Snell was also asked about his touchdown goal, which he gave the same answer, he wants to improve. 

Snell already has the second most rushing touchdowns in a season from any UK player, just four behind Moe Williams’ 17 touchdowns in 1995. Regardless of what Snell’s goals are, he puts them in a place where he sees them often. 

“They’re (goals) in my room, I look at them everyday,” Snell said.

Stephen Johnson performing well in first week

UK has a quarterback battle on their hands that will likely last for most of camp leading into the start of the season.

Snell has had a chance to see the battle unfold live and has been impressed with Stephen Johnson’s efforts so far.

“He’s making a lot of smart decisions, when there’s rushers around him, he’s starting to tuck the ball out more” Snell said. “We’re definitely going to reduce the fumbles for sure, and he’s just putting the ball on the money.”

After practice ended, Johnson, along with Walker Wood, were the only two quarerbacks remaining on the field to get extra passes in. Johnson was throwing short passes to various recievers while Wood was throwing longer passes 

Josh Ali and Isaiah Epps continue to impress

Lynn Bowden was expected to be the biggest offensive threat from the incoming freshman class, but that might have changed after the first week of camp.

Earlier in the week, Johnson and Garrett Johnson both complimented the young receiver’s talent, and their ability to learn quickly.

Today Chris Westry, someone who has covered Ali and Epps in practice, offered his take on the freshman receivers’ progress. 

“Those guys got some burners man,” Westry said. “That’s real good for us. As a team, for some guys to be able to come in year one and make a difference, that’s good for us.”

Westry also offered his opinion on Michael Nesbitt, who hasn’t even been in Lexington for a full week yet.

“Man came out here a couple days ago, camp started was his first day,” Westry said. “For someone that hasn’t even been here over the summer, you would expect him to behind the eight-ball, but he’s right there. That’s a good look on his behalf.”

UK Fan Day

The first week of camp will conclude with UK’s Fan Day, scheduled for Saturday.

Autographs will start at 9 a.m. in the Nutter Field House, with an open-practice taking place on the Joe Craft Football Training Facility fields at 11 a.m.