Lewis Honors College brings witchcraft and wizardry to campus

Cathryn Perini

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home, and so will the Lewis Honor College.

Lewis Honors College Living Learning Program is holding a month long series of Harry Potter inspired events throughout the month of October.

There are about 30 events throughout the month. The events range from academic events like chemistry review sessions (“Potions”) to social events, such as the annual Yule Ball at the end of the month. The Yule Ball includes a costume contest.

“Some (events) bring campus partners into our community to talk about serious issues such as body image, stress management, or career exploration,” Heather Nan Carpenter, an adviser and organizer of co-curricular programming for the Honors Residential College, said.

Honors students can earn points for their house in the House Cup by attending the events. Students can also earn points through the weekly contests between the houses by posting winning group pictures, house promotional videos or about events they attend on social media.

There is a month-long clothing drive, named after Hermione Granger’s club SPEW (Society for the Promotion of the Elfish Welfare), according to Carpenter. It benefits multiple organizations, including The Hope Center. The donation bins are in the lobbies of Donovan, Johnson and Lewis Halls.

Honors LLP students received an email accepting them to the Hogwarts Honors Program of Witchcraft and Wizardry, including a calendar of events and an invitation to the sorting ceremony.

The Harry Potter events are an annual event and have occurred every October so far since the creation of the LLP. It is exciting for new and old honors students alike.

“Much like the kids of Hogwarts, honors students are waiting for their special letter letting them know that they have been invited into the rare and special world of honors education,” Carpenter said.

There are 688 students that live in the Honors College LLP, but there are almost 2,000 students in total in the Honors College.

All members of the UK community are invited to the events, regardless of where they live or what they study.

The rest of the month’s events are listed below, with descriptions from an email Carpenter sent to all honors students:

Potions (CHE 105/107 Review Session)

When: Monday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.

Where: Lewis Classroom, U133

What: Discover the Half-Blood Prince’s secrets to mastering the art of potion making! Or, in Muggle terms: Join us in a review for the upcoming CHE 105 and 107 exams and enjoy a slice of pizza.

Triwizard Tournament Name Drawing

When: Monday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.

Where: DoJo Courtyard

What: One champion from each of Donovan, Johnson, and Lewis Halls will be drawn to compete in varying elimination tasks to determine the victor of the 2017 Lewis Honor College Triwizard Tournament.

Transfiguration (Pumpkin Carving)

When: Thursday, Oct. 12 at 6 p.m.

Where: DoJo Courtyard

What: Celebrate Halloween by transfiguring an ordinary pumpkin into a frightening masterpiece!

What’s Your Patronus?

When: Thursday, Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Come discover your unique Patronus through the magical world of Pottermore! Enjoy some cookies and create a matching Patronus ornament to ward off the dementors.

Witch-Crafts and Wizardry

When: Friday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m.

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Is Diagon Alley too far away for you to go buy your Hogwarts supplies? Don’t worry! You can make many of your supplies here. With the help of Ollivander, Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, and Eeylop’s Owl.

Hermione at the Library

When: Saturday, Oct. 14 at 10 a.m.

Where: Meet in DoJo Courtyard

What: Do you need a break from Willy T? Do you love autumn walks, books, and coffee? Is Hermione Granger your spirit animal? No matter the case, join us on a walk to Lexington Public Library’s Central Branch and explore five magical floors of books and media (All UK students qualify for temporary library cards)! Afterwards, curl up with your book and a hot drink at Coffea!

Herbology

When: Saturday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m.

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Studying for your BIO 148 exam? Stop by to ask questions, do practice problems, and eat pizza!

Arithmancy (MA 113/114 Review Session)

When: Sunday, Oct. 15 at noon

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Come out and study for the second MA123 exam with Mad Mushroom cheese sticks!

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

When: Sunday, Oct. 15 at 6:30 p.m.

Where: DoJo Courtyard (to Boyd’s Orchard)

What: Celebrate fall with a relaxing evening at Boyd’s Orchard, where there’s a corn maze, fantastic beasts (petting zoo), and more!

OWLs Essays (BIO 198 Paper Help)

When: Monday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m.

Where:Lewis Classroom U133

What: Are you currently taking BIO 198? Worried about the term paper coming due? Come get help from previous BIO 198 students! Sophomores Katie Myers and Angela Jones will be available to answer questions and proofread papers. Come join us and enjoy some pizza and Ale-8.

Charms (Lucky Charms+Halloween (1978)

When: Monday, Oct. 16 at 9 p.m.

Where: Lewis Classroom U134

What: Enjoy some (Lucky) Charms with Professor Flitwick and watch the original Halloween movie!

Potter Puppet Pals Puppet Production Program

When: Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 9 p.m.

Where: Donovan Lobby

What: Expecto Patronas! Come join us as we watch the REAL Harry Potter, not the jiggery-pokery movies! Enjoy such classics such as “Wizard Angst”, “The Mysterious Ticking Noise,” and “Wizard Swears” as we make puppets ourselves!

Triwizard Tournament (Trivia Round)

When: Thursday, Oct. 19 at 6 p.m.

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Join in on spectating as the final two wizards compete in Harry Potter trivia to determine the victor of the Triwizard Tournament.

The Culture of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons (Bulgaria and France)

When: Friday, Oct. 20 at 6 p.m.

Where: Lewis Glassroom

What: Bonjour! Join us as we learn about the cultures of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons (Bulgaria and France). We will be having French and Bulgarian food as well as some first-hand accounts on the beauty of these two countries!

Adventure in the Forbidden Forest

When: Saturday, Oct. 21 at 9:30 a.m.

Where: Raven’s Run Nature Sanctuary (Meet in DoJo Courtyard)

What: Enjoy the perfect fall weather and explore Raven Run Nature Sanctuary with us . . . maybe we’ll even spot a centaur! Snacks provided!

Quidditch

When: Saturday, Oct. 21 at 2 p.m.

Where: Library Bowl

What: Hey everybody! If you’re every read Harry Potter, you’re definitely heard about Quidditch.  Now’s your chance to play!  Come out to the library bowl on the Woodland Glen side of the library to mount your Firebolt!

Dancing with Professor McGonagall and Friends

When: Sunday, Oct. 22 at 6:45 p.m.

Where: Scholar’s Lounge

What: Let your inner lion pounce, or come get loose taking some dance lessons before the Yule Ball! From 6:45 – 8 p.m. We will step along with an instructor, so by Thursday you won’t look like a babbling bumbling band of baboons! No partner necessary.

The Owl Post

When: Monday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Lewis Lobby (Residential)

What: You’re half way there! Write a letter to your second semester self while enjoying some North Lime Donuts!

Murder at Hogwarts

When: Monday, Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Scholar’s Lounge

What: Something mysterious and murdery is going on at Hogwarts . . . see if you can solve the mystery! Join us for a night of drama, fun, and Fazolis in the Lewis ballroom. Please RSVP!

It’s Just a Bunch of Hocus Pocus

When: Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.

Where: DoJo Courtyard

What: Join us for festive fall snacks and an outdoor screening of the greatest Halloween movie ever, Hocus Pocus! Bring something to sit on and a blanket in case it’s chilly!

Yule Ball

When: Thursday, Oct. 26 at 6 p.m.

Where: Scholar’s Lounge

What: Food, games, costume contests (in genre and general Halloween) and more for this is the big event of Harry Potter Month. Come meet your faculty’s kids, invite friends. The more the merrier!