Underground UK: Student discounts make holiday shopping easier

Student+Shopping

Student Shopping

Megan Brown

Sleigh bells are ringing and dollar signs are ch-chinging, which can only mean one thing– present shopping for your friends and family this holiday season. Student discounts are offered around Lexington realtors with a valid student ID and allow students to find the perfect gift at an even better price that doesn’t burden them financially.

Bed Bath & Beyond provides students a one-time 20 percent off discount for signing up for the companies college emails. Students can subscribe to the emails by visiting the college section of their website. Then they can purchase items for every member of the family such as candles, coffee makers, a Tervis, UK themed items to show support for the Big Blue Nation and even Fitbits.

Another place to get a discount is TOMS. TOMS is an organization dedicated to providing pairs of shoes to those in need with their buy one-give one policy. They also offer a 10 percent discount to students and can be a great gift for not just your loved one but also someone who needs it.

Banana Republic may seem like the go-to place for fashionable clothes, but they also have accessories which can be used as stocking stuffers. However, because their prices are higher end with scarfs ranging from 38 to 158 dollars, the 15 percent discount for college students is helpful in making the store more attainable to those on tight budgets.

Students can also get a 10 percent discount at Topshop, where they can purchase apparel and accessories along with multiple makeup products such as highlighter, brushes and lipstick. The website also has a section for stocking stuffers for less than 30 dollars, which includes fuzzy printed socks less than five dollars with the discount.

Finally for apparel discounts, J. Crew also offers a 15 percent discount when students show their ID at checkout.

Another option for savings is investing in a student advantage card for $22.50 a year. Once you buy the card, a variety of exclusive discounts will open up to over 60 partnerships.

For example, 30 percent off Sunglass Warehouse, 10 percent off tickets on Ticket Monster and $20 dollars off your first service at Your Mechanic.

Students can see all the participating locations and find out more at http://www.studentadvantage.com/discountcard/.

If you are mailing a package, FedEx also provides a good discount program for students. They can receive 30 percent off envelopes and 20 percent off of packages.

If you would like an activity to do with your friends before you go home for three weeks, Movie Tavern and Cinemark have discounted tickets for students.

Also, for a fun way to relieve stress, Sky Zone offers buy one, get one free jump passes on Wednesdays for college students.

You only have your student ID for four to five years, make the most of it by bringing joy to others this holiday season and save a few dollars while you are at it.