Knox named SEC Freshman of the Week

Kevin Knox. The University of Kentucky men’s basketball team defeats West Virginia 83-76 on Saturday, January 28th, 2018 at the Coliseum in Morgantown, WV. Photo by Quinn Foster I UK Athletics

Kernel Sports Staff

After tying the record for most points scored on the road in the John Calipari era in UK’s win at West Virginia, Kevin Knox is the SEC’s Freshman of the Week as announced by the league office.

Knox’s 34-point and seven-rebound performance at West Virginia helped him win UK’s third SEC Freshman of the Week honor this season, the first since Shai Gilgeous-Alexander won Freshman of the Week on Jan. 15.

Knox also scored 19 points in UK’s win over Mississippi State earlier in the week. The freshman shot 69.5 percent from the floor in last week’s games, including making 9-12 three-point attempts. 

Knox’s 34 points is also tied the sixth most points scored by a Kentucky freshman ever, behind Malik Monk (three times,) De’Aaron Fox, Jamal Murray and Terrence Jones.

Recap: UK upsets West Virginia 83-76

Knox and his teammates will be back on the court on Jan. 30 when the Cats host Vanderbilt at Rupp Arena.