McGrath takes a stand against anti-freedom of the press companies

Amy McGrath speaking to students on Tuesday, April 3, 2018 in Lexington , Kentucky. Amy McGrath is the second Congressional Candidate UKY Democrats have hosted this semester Photo By Genna Melendez | Staff

Hannah Woosley

On Monday, April 2, Amy McGrath (D-Ky.) announced she will be pulling all advertisements of her upcoming campaign for congress from WDKY-TV, or commonly known as Channel 56 in Lexington, the Sinclair-owned television station.

McGrath is currently running for U.S. Representative for Kentucky’s Sixth Congressional District as a Democratic candidate against Andy Barr (R-Ky.). She has been outspoken about issues pertaining to politicians who choose to put their party over the country, protecting the Affordable Care Act and her previous service in the military.

At the beginning of this month, she added another issue to her list: Sinclair-owned television stations.

In a statement released by McGrath after she pulled her advertisements from Channel 56, she cited the “must-read” right-wing scripts Sinclair-owned stations recite, and how it “eerily mimics the propaganda efforts that authoritarian regimes often use to control the media in their own country.”

This goes directly against the issues McGrath is fighting for in her campaign and was promptly taken care of as soon as she was notified. McGrath is also calling for a boycott against all Sinclair-owned television stations for their effort to stifle journalism.

One of her campaign slogans, “Country over party,” is more fitting today than ever before in the U.S. and by pulling her advertisements, she is staying true to her word.

Who better to represent our state of Kentucky other than a veteran, wife, mother of three, college graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, a Master’s Degree in International/Global Security, a Graduate Certificate in Legislative Studies, and who puts the well-being of our country first?

McGrath has fought for our country during 9/11 and instructed classes in political science. She has a combined knowledge of education about politics and the military to lead Kentucky forward – a two-factor combination of experience some of the other candidates lack.

McGrath knows what Kentucky needs and she is fighting for just that – a politician that cares for the country, and the people, first, not just their party affiliation.

In her statement, she also cited the nearly 20,000 campaign donations from grassroots donors, and how those individuals would not wish to see their financial support of her be given to companies that push their own agenda like Sinclair-owned television stations, one that does not properly function on the ideas of non-bias journalism to which they are donating.

McGrath’s decision came down to a simple one: follow what is right, or what is wrong. She chose to follow the right path, the one that leads to non-bias journalism, and one that follows her campaigns’ promise.

McGrath flew 89 combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Becoming elected to congress is her 90th mission. McGrath is the embodiment of what politicians should be – transparent, strong and intelligent.