We need nap rooms at UK

Kernel Opinion SIG

Saadia Akhtar

Several universities across the United States have introduced nap rooms and napping stations on their campuses. Should the University of Kentucky as well? Ohhhhh, yes.

On average, college students get around seven hours of sleep, NPR reported. Even though this amount is considered acceptable, it does not account for the additional stresses that college students endure. With 8 a.m. classes, studying and extracurriculars, college students definitely need a nap (or two) during the day.

Luckily, I lived in the dorms this past year and was able to take naps between my classes. But some students do not live on campus or they live far from their classes, and they are not able to afford the luxury of a much-needed nap.

Not to mention that during exam and finals weeks, students are on campus late at night and need a few minutes of shut-eye before getting back to the grind. Having these nap rooms or cubbies in the library would be extremely useful to those late-night studiers who do not want to go back to their dorms or apartments — for they fear of going to sleep for the night.

According to a Times article on the research of Dr. Sara Mednick, a psychologist at the University of California, “[naps] can improve brain functions ranging from memory to focus and creativity.” And as college students, we know how important memorization is for our classes.

Allowing students an appropriate place to nap on campus would increase productivity among students and allow many of them to get through their hectic day a bit easier.