UK’s Donations for Citations program donates record-breaking amount

The Big Blue Pantry, located at CB 25 in the basement of the Whitehall classroom building, combats food insecurity amongst UK students. Photo by Amanda Bryant.

Kernel News Staff

UK Transportation’s Donations for Citations program set a new record by raising more than 3,200 pounds of food and personal care items for the Big Blue Pantry, a UKNow press release showed. 

Last year, the Donations for Citations program, which allows UK students and employees to pay off parking tickets with food and personal care item donations, raised 2,100 pounds for Big Blue Pantry, an on-campus resource that provides free food and supplies to students who need it. 

This year’s drive lasted about two weeks— beginning on Feb. 25 and ending on March 8. According to the press release, the program has raised 10,579 pounds of items over its four-year existence and is the Big Blue Pantry’s largest food drive of the year. 

“Citations are an unfortunate necessity at an urban institution as large and complex as UK,” said Lance Broeking, director of UK Transportation Services. “However, the Donations for Citations program turns something that is often perceived as negative into an opportunity to support a very worthwhile cause.”

This year UK Transportation partnered with the National Association of Black Journalists, which helped promote the drive by distributing fliers and spreading the word via social media. 

Big Blue Pantry is located next to the post office in the basement of the White Hall classroom building and is open in the afternoon on most weekdays. Check their website for more information on donations and pickup.