EJ Montgomery to test NBA waters

Freshman forward EJ Montgomery. University of Kentucky men’s basketball team defeated Monmouth University 90-44 at Rupp Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

A new advancement in Kentucky basketball has just made its way to the surface: Kentucky freshman EJ Montgomery has just announced he will test the NBA waters. 

The 6-foot-10 forward plans to submit his name for the 2019 NBA Draft, but per new NCAA rules, he can sign with an NCAA-certified agent and still return to Kentucky for a sophomore season if he chooses. 

“EJ improved so much during the year,” head coach John Calipari said in a press release. “He helped us win games and made a difference in so many other games. I think it is smart for him and his family to explore what his options truly are. I have no doubt in mind that EJ has a bright future. Whether the information says EJ should stay in the draft or come back for another year to prepare for the rest of his life, I’ll support his decision.”

Montgomery made 10 starts for the Wildcats this season and played in all 37 games. He averaged 3.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game, while totaling 38 total blocks, 16 steals and 15 assists.

The freshman will have until May 29 to make his final decision as to whether he will keep his name in the draft or return to Kentucky.