UK has a new sorority on campus, brings old traditions with them

Kernel Lifestyle Sig

Shawn Clancy

While many often view Greek life as a constant around campus, for one sisterhood, this semester represents a new beginning in Kentucky.

The name Gamma Phi Beta is one steeped in decades of history and tradition. With origins in central New York in 1874, the sorority that exists today has become an internationally recognized organization.

This year, UK became the latest addition to Gamma Phi’s long list of university chapters, and according to them, the process couldn’t have been smoother.

“We have had an incredibly positive experience as we prepare to bring Gamma Phi Beta to UK,” said Teresa Tisserat, a representative of the sorority. “Our team has felt welcomed by the entire fraternity and sorority community.”

Though this process has been smooth, the process by which the university and chapter choose each other can be a long and rigorous one.

When choosing a new school for a chapter, Tisserat said there are many different things to look at to see if the campus is a good fit.

“We look at a variety of factors including the academic profile of an institution, support for fraternity and sorority life and the number of Gamma Phi alumnae in the area available to support the chapter,” Tisserat said. “We want to join campuses where we can provide a positive member experience and ensure the success of our chapter.”

On the university’s end, each organization sends in an information packet for review, from there finalists are chosen to come speak with students and staff on campus before a choice is made. In this particular case, it seems as though both the university and the sorority were happy with the results.

Although bid day has passed for some, Gamma Phi Beta is still looking for new members to embark on this fresh start with them. According to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, the sorority will have an extended deadline to accept their bids, with the official cutoff being in late September.

Gamma Phi looks forward to establishing a useful and productive symbiotic relationship with whatever community they extend to.

“We are so excited to have the opportunity to advance our mission at UK and in the Lexington community,” Tisserat said. “Gamma Phi Beta provides an enduring connection for women who are strong alone, but stronger together.”