UK goes purple for domestic violence

UK’s campus went purple throughout the month of October to raise awareness of domestic violence. Photo by UKPR.

Barkley Truax

Throughout the month of October, the Violence Intervention and Prevention Center has gone purple in effort to raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness Month. 

Wednesday night as well as Thursday, the VIP Center has requested that UK turn all of the lights on over a dozen buildings on campus purple.

Taryn Henning, Director of the VIP Center spoke about why these lights are important to campus.

“It lets folks know that domestic violence is something that happens, especially ones that have experienced it that you’re not alone,” Henning said. “It’s not just for students, but for faculty and staff that may have experienced it as well.”

The VIP Center provides resources such as advocates that can work with you one on one.

“We provide free and confidential support and advocacy to any student, staff, and faculty here at UK that has experienced at any point in their life some type of interpersonal violence,” Lenzi Dodgen, survivor advocate at the VIP Center said.

The VIP center has partnered with several organizations to raise awareness for domestic violence not only on campus, but throughout Lexington as a whole. 

These organizations include UKPD, Court Appointed Special Advocates, Domestic and Sexual Violence Prevention Coalition and Hollywood Feed in the Summit at Fritz Farm. 

Events have taken place featuring the VIP Center throughout Lexington because of these groups. This past Monday, it was purple donut day at North Lime Coffee & Donuts. 

After donuts had been purchased, customers were encouraged to talk about it. 

“Donuts and domestic violence, you wouldn’t think it’s a combination but we love it,” Dodgen said.

If you or anyone you know has been affected by domestic violence, feel encouraged to seek out the VIP Center in the lower level of Frazee Hall.