Kentucky records highest finish of season at Kiawah Invitational

Hunter Shelton

UK’s men’s golf team kicked off the spring with a tournament filled with career bests at the Kiawah Invitational at Oak Point Golf Club (par-72) in Kiawah Island, S.C.  

The Wildcats finished the tournament at 25-under-par – team total of 839 – good enough for third place, the best finish the Cats have had all season.  

All five of Kentucky’s starters obtained either a career-low result or career-best tournament. 

“This was a huge step forward for our team,” head coach Brian Craig said afterward. 

Zach Norris led the way for UK, carding a career best tournament score of 208 (8-under-par) that was good enough for sixth place in individual scoring. The junior out of McKee, Ky.’s second-round score of 68 (4-under-par) is a career low. 

Just behind Norris was Reid Bedell. The Fair Haven, N.J. native finished the tournament tied for tenth place with a score of 210 (6-under-par). Like Norris, Bedell found his stride in round two, shooting a 66 (6-under-par,) which is tied for his career low. Bedell didn’t bogey a single hole in his second round, where he recorded six birdies. 

“Really proud of Zach Norris and Reid Bedell for leading the way,” Craig said. “And for Coach (Ben) Fuqua coaching them up.”  

Jacob Cook tied his career low, ending at 212 (4-under-par) to match his performance at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate last fall. Round two was kind to Cook as well; the graduate student posted a career low round of 68 (4-under-par). Cook finished tied for sixteenth place, his first career top-20 finish. 

Cooper Parks found his career best score of 215 (1-under-par,) along with his career-low round of 68 (4-under-par) in round one. The sophomore out of Campbellsville, Ky finished the tournament tied for 30th.  

Allen Hamilton was also able to find a career low round in round one, carding a 67 (5-under-par). Hamilton finished the tournament tied for 70th after a 76 and 81 in rounds two and three. 

Jay Kirchdorfer was the best of the three individuals competing for the Cats. A score of 221 (5-over-par) sat the sophomore in 54th place. Jackson LaLonde was next in line; his three-round tally of 70-70-82 placed the Lexington Christian Academy graduate in 58th. Freshman Hugo Archer rounded it out for UK, finishing in 83rd following an 80-74-74 tournament.  

The Wildcats slotted 12 strokes behind champion Wake Forest, who finished at 37-under-par. Runner-up Clemson snuck past the Cats for second at 28-under-par.  

“I keep saying this team is going to have a memorable spring,” Craig said. “And this definitely is a step in that direction.”

UK is back in action at the end of the month, when it travels to Baton Rouge for the LSU Invitational. The tournament takes place at the University Club, and runs from Feb. 26-28.