Goodbye Billy’s, hello fried chicken

After 32 years, Lexington is saying goodbye to the barbecue joint that started it all.

Billy’s Bar-B-Q, located at 101 Cochran Road, began as one of the first barbecue restaurants in the city.

Sarah Allen is a former manager. She worked at Billy’s for 11 years and said that’s where she made some of her closest friends.

“On Sunday night I closed the store and we had a meeting and I kind of had a feeling that that’s where it was going,” Allen said. “I was noticing things weren’t stocked and ordered, and I just had a feeling in my gut that that’s where it was going.”

Allen was asked to apply for a manager position at Joella’s Hot Chicken, a Louisville franchise that operates in the same building and opened in March, but felt like working in the location would be too much. Allen said it was time for Billy’s to say goodbye, but she’s hopeful for the future.

“I needed a fresh start anyways,” Allen said. “It’s just unfortunate the way that everything went down.”

According to a press release, Joella’s was inspired by a restaurant that founder Tony Palombino’s parents owned. The chicken was made each day by Joe and Ms. Ella, both of which who were longtime employees. The press release did not give their full names.

“Watching how hard they worked every day made a huge impression on me as a young boy,” Palombino said, “and I wanted to bring them back to life, in spirit, and honor them.”

Palombino is the founder and CEO of Louisville-based EAP Restaurant Concepts, which works with other successful Louisville restaurants like BoomBozz Craft Pizza & Taphouse and Manny & Merle.

Josh Tudor, general manager for the Lexington Joella’s, said the brand “took off like wildfire” after opening in Louisville, and is excited about opening a Lexington location.

“Everyone’s given good responses,” Tudor said. “It’s just real good southern fried chicken. Everything is made fresh daily.”

There are six different levels of heat as well as homemade sides and desserts, including nutella poppers and banana pudding.

“It’s a nice change, a good meal,” Tudor said. “We’ll have the serve-your-own-beer system, can beers. We’ll have craft soda, so I think they’ll enjoy it.”

The Lexington location will allow customers to self-serve beer through technology that allows them to scan their IDs, open a tab and pour their own beer. Customers will pay by the ounce, meaning they can try multiple beers or have one large one.

Even though Joella’s will appeal to students, it will still have a family and community atmosphere. Tudor said the company is excited to participate in fundraisers and give backs.

“Just being a family owned company, we’re excited to get out and do a lot for the community,” Tudor said. “Anything we can get involved in, we’re open.”