Cats back on top against Boston

By Jordan Ondrof

One day after moving to No.1 in the Associated Press College Basketball Top-25 Poll, the Cats brought their ‘B’ game against Boston University winning 82-62.

This was not the Cats best effort, much to the dismay of head coach John Calipari.

“We do have good shooters. We just don’t have good makers.” Calipari said after his team went 3-15 from the three point line.

Alex Poythress had his second consecutive double-double, finishing with 14 points and 10 rebounds. The last time he had a double-double was the beginning of his sophomore year.

“I thought Alex (Poythress) — I subbed him four seconds in. He didn’t go after a ball,” Calipari said. “Athletically, you’re an athlete, explode and go get balls, even if it’s on the floor. And he stood there and watched it. Boom, you’re out. Then he got back in and he’s a double-double and he could be dunking every ball, making free throws, getting fouled. I mean, that’s who he is and that’s where we got to get him back to.”

Calipari has been trying to find a go-to guy to come off of he bench every game to make an impact, and after his performance today, Calipari thinks it may be Charles Matthews.

“I thought Charles Matthews was outstanding,” Calipari said. “I think he moved into the rotation now. If you ask me, he changed the whole game. It’s not what he just did offensively, it’s what he did defensively and coming up with balls and being active and trying. And I said, look, get in the gym and shoot free throws. If he makes free throws, he’s in that seven-man rotation and he pushes guys out.”

Skal Labissiere managed to grab 7 rebounds while shooting 7-13 to score 13 points, improving as the game progressed.

“Skal, he’s trying, but this is all new. He doesn’t react like the other guys right now. He’s got to start reacting quicker. React quicker to voices. You can’t be stepping back. And that’s kind of where he’s still figuring stuff out,” Calipari said.

After briefly losing the lead towards the end of the first half, the Cats got it together in the end, going on a 22-9 run to close the game.

“I told the team after, I’m not going to accept anything other than an elite athlete when I watch him play. If he’s not an elite athlete, he’s out. He’s not playing,” Calipari said.

Hunger games star Josh Hutcherson attended the game, enthusiastically cheering on the Cats while graciously taking pictures with fans.

UK plays South Florida on Friday at the Hoophall Miami Invitational.