3-point shot: Boston University preview

By Josh Ellis

No. 1 UK (4-0) v. Boston (2-2)

Tipoff: Tuesday, 9 p.m., Rupp Arena TV: SEC Network Radio: UK Radio Network

Here’s three things to focus on for the UK-Boston game Tuesday, Nov. 24.

Expect the Cats to bounce back strong

Following UK’s 78-63 win over Wright State on Friday, head coach John Calipari wasn’t happy with his team’s performance. The Cats had 12 turnovers and nine assists against the Raiders, bringing the season total to 54 assists and 55 turnovers.

“You tell me that looked like the No. 2 team in the country,” Calipari said. “There’s got to be 20 teams better than us right now. (We) couldn’t throw it to the post. Skal (Labissiere) couldn’t hold a position.”

After a few days to correct the mistakes of their subpar play on Friday, expect UK to come out of the gates firing. They’ll face a Boston team that lost to NJIT by 14 on Thursday, whom the Cats beat by 30 on Nov. 14.

Skal Labissiere’s aggressiveness

The 6-foot-11 freshman from Port-au-prince, Haiti has yet to have a game where he grabs more than five rebounds. Labissiere is averaging 13.8 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game and 4 blocks per game.

After picking up more fouls (4) than rebounds (3) against Wright State, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the projected No. 1 pick of the 2016 NBA Draft have a standout performance on Tuesday.

“It just comes with game experience in more situations like that. It’s a learning experience,” forward Alex Poythress said on the UK freshman. “They don’t know any better than a game like that, but I would rather have a game like that now, early in the season, opposed to late in the season or postseason.”

Boston’s John Papale

Boston’s three seniors account for half of the teams’ 77 points per game, but 17.8 of those points come from senior forward John Papale. The Wallingford, Conn. native is shooting 51 percent from the field and 51 percent from three.

He averages 38 minutes per game and will take about 10 three-point attempts on Tuesday, so look for Calipari to make defending Papale a priority for the Cats’ defense.

It wouldn’t be shocking to see Calipari task freshman guard Isaiah Briscoe with the mission of slowing down Papale, as Briscoe has already solidified himself as one of the nation’s best defenders after holding Duke’s Grayson Allen to six points on 2-of-11 shooting