UK volleyball to face No.25 Texas A&M to end regular season

By Caitlin Schwartz

The No. 19 UK volleyball team has a critical top-25 matchup tonight as they take on No. 25 Texas A&M in Reed Arena.

This game will determine who takes the top spot in the Southeastern Conference.

The Cats will be coming off of a tough loss in an upsetting five-set defeat (25-27, 25-19, 23-25, 25-19, 16-14) to Missouri. Both teams were two of the SEC’s top three teams in the lead standings.

Senior Morgan Bergren had 43 assists and 14 digs in the loss. Junior Anni Thomasson also had a double-double with 16 kills and 13 digs. Sophomore Kaz Brown put down 12 kills with a .364 hitting percentage and added five blocks. Brown still finds herself top 10 nationally in both total blocks and blocks per set. Her total blocks lead the SEC, while she is second in blocks per set in the SEC.

Sophomore Ashley Dusek is still not letting up as a powerhouse for the Cats defense as she logged a match-high 26. The defense overall is helping the Cats get to where they are so far in the season. They have held every in-conference opponent except Georgia below its average hitting percentage this season.

Only four UK opponents have hit better than their average against the Cats this season.

Texas A&M’s middle blocker Jazzmin Babers leads the SEC in hitting percentage in conference matches with a .452 hitting proficiency. Teammate Shelby Sullivan is third, hitting .423.

With UK’s strong defense and Texas A&M’s tough offense, this game will be full of competition.

The last time the two teams battle the Aggies took rallied for a 3-1 win over UK. The Cats are currently 11-3 on the season in SEC play while the Aggies are 12-2 on the season in SEC play.

The game against the Aggies will be the final regular season match of the year for the Cats.