Flavors of France come to UK

By Joshua Qualls

The restaurant was chosen by students in a UK Dining survey. UK’s dining partner, Aramark, originally tried to bring Panera Bread to campus but it ultimately did not work out, and La Madeleine’s parent company, Groupe Le Duff, negotiated for Aramark to become a franchisee.

There are about 20 full-time workers and between 15 to 18 work-study students and part-time staff.

La Madeleine’s first location opened in 1983 in Dallas, Texas, and the chain has since grown to more than 75 locations across the American South and Southwest. It also has nine locations near Washington, D.C., and one close to Baltimore, Md.

Besides being the first location in Kentucky, it is also the first on a university campus. Jackson Lewis, a public relations associate for La Madeleine, said the location at UK is part of an effort to increase the company’s market share by expanding to nontraditional locations such as college campuses, malls and airports.

La Madeleine recently opened two locations in Orlando, Fla., and it is also looking at other new markets in more states.

“It’s kind of a new adventure for them as it is for us,” Kiffmeyer said.

La Madeleine accepts Flex dollars. It will be open Mondays through Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Fridays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The restaurant will be closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and Kiffmeyer said it will be closed during the holidays for at least this year.