Experience, new faces to mix in starting lineup

By Jordan Ondrof

@jordanondrof

Head coach John Calipari has been experimenting with his lineup in the preseason, implementing a “random” style of play and “positionless” basketball. Expect him to start with his three guards, Jamal Murray, Isaiah Briscoe, and Tyler Ulis along with Skal Labissiere and Alex Poythress.

Alex Poythress: In the two exhibition games, Calipari started Marcus Lee over Alex Poythress. Poythress is still returning from his ACL injury that put him on the bench all of last season, but he showed glimpses of his old self against Kentucky State last weekend. Calipari is slowly bringing him back, so it is a tossup over whether Lee or Poythress will start.

Skal Labissiere: The freshman reminded us of his inexperience in the preseason, but he also showed his remarkable abilities. In an exhibition against Kentucky State, he didn’t score a single point in the first half, but came out in the second half to score 22 points. Labissiere’s height and long arms make him a force on offense and defense, but he is skinny and is not as aggressive as he needs to be getting rebounds. If Labissiere can play the whole game like he did in the second half against Kentucky State, opponents will have a problem finding anyone to match up with him.

Jamal Murray: The freshman guard from Canada was a late get from Calipari and has completely transformed this roster. His quickness and shooting ability makes him one of the top guards in the county.

His quickness and shooting ability makes him one of the top guards in the county. His well-rounded game was showcased against Ottawa when he was one assist away from a triple double. Murray is also an asset to the press Calipari has been testing out in the preseason. He is quick and is an aggressive defender who causes turnovers.

“Play the way that Coach Cal wants me to play,” Murray said about how he plans to earn a starting position. “Lots of shots, limited turnovers, good defense and just learn from Cal.”

Isaiah Briscoe: Rivals.com ranked Briscoe as the top point guard in the 2015 recruiting class. He is the most boisterous one on the court, smiling after he makes a great play, genuinely having fun playing the game. Briscoe exudes confidence on the court and isn’t afraid to take a tough shot or drive to the basket, taking on guys twice his size. However, Briscoe can get out of control and has a tendency to turn the ball over. If he wants to remain in the starting lineup, he will have to show he can protect the ball.

Tyler Ulis: The veteran point guard has often been referred to as the “floor general” because of his leadership on the court. Ulis will probably see the most minutes out of the point guards, and deservedly so. After being number two behind Aaron Harrison last year, it is Ulis’ time to shine. If the pre-season was any indication, he is out to prove he is the best point guard in college basketball.

“I understand the things I have to do. (Coach Calipari) isn’t asking me to lead the country,” Ulis said. “He’s just asking me to run a basketball team. It’s really not that hard. I just have to lead us to win.”