Editorial: Graduating in 4 years will soon be easier

Despite only about 40 percent of UK students graduating in four years, UK is committed to the image of a four-year college experience.

Along with increasing retention rates, the administration is working to increase this percentage with software that would allow students to plan their courses years in advance.

The Graduation Planning system, expected to open in fall of 2016, would be similar to the current APEX system that allows students to view credits needed to graduate, but would be more forward-looking.

The GP system would undoubtedly help more students graduate in four years. Students would be able to control their own future, rather than relying on advisers.

The average UK freshman signs up for 15.7 hours of coursework, but only completes 13.4 hours. UK juniors, on average, take less than 15 hours.

Senior associate provost Charles Carlson said these numbers show need for a culture shift among students, and need for better communication between advisers and students.

When freshman fall behind during their first semester, it’s hard to recover. Freshman need to know exactly what they need to take if they want to study abroad or participate in an internship, to graduate on time.

With the current APEX system, it can be difficult for students to know where they stand in three years and how many credits they should complete.

UK has the highest four-year graduation rate of any public university in the state by nearly 10 percent, but Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Ben Withers said UK would like to be more competitive nation-wide.

The four-year graduation rate is one of the most common standards used to judge universities, and UK is falling behind other schools of similar size. Ivy League schools and military academies traditionally have rates of more than 90 percent in the four-year graduation.

Taking classes during the winter or summer sessions, may be more economic than a semester at UK.

Discussions between students and advisers, the GP system and a culture shift among students are necessary in achieving an environment of four-year graduations.