R&B star Miguel rocks Memorial Coliseum

// <![CDATA[</p><p>_psEmbed(“http://kykernel.photoshelter.com”);</p><p>// ]]>

By Aspen Gage

Memorial Coliseum filled to the rafters on Monday night: this time not for basketball, but Miguel Pimentel.

As the minutes crept toward show time, fans piled into the arena and voices amplified the room before the show even began.

Sixteen-year-old Grace Mitchell gave the crowd an entertaining opening performance. After stumbling and referring to UK as Kentucky State, Mitchell giggled and asked for forgiveness.

Maddie Sawyer, a primary education sophomore, was a fan of Mitchell’s dark-haired guitar player, Diego. “He needs to stay out and play for Miguel,” she said.

Miguel’s band filed onto the stage first, heightening the almost palpable anticipation of the crowd. The singer then erupted onstage in a flurry of white leather and the crowd went wild.

In an energetic performance, Miguel danced and laughed through song after song.

Miguel performed songs from his previous album, “Kaleidoscope Dream,” including fan favorites, “Adorn” and “How Many Drinks.” Fans throughout the arena were on their feet and singing along.

After singing a few hits from his newest album, “Wildheart,” Miguel became contemplative and serious.

He talked about how it felt growing up as a biracial person and reminisced about feeling strange when he took standardized tests and could not find a place to bubble in his ethnicity. Having always had to bubble in “other,” he transitioned into a song about being true to oneself by saying, “Well, we’re all other.”

Kinesiology junior Annika Johnson, who is also biracial, said she especially connected with that moment during the show.

“It’s cool to identify with such a big star, but it makes you realize we all face systematic isolation,” she said. “I’m made to feel different because I can’t identify with one race. Miguel gets that, and that’s cool.”

The show was filled with guitar riffs and loud drum beats, something that may be slightly new to Miguel fans. While “Kaleidoscope Dream” had subtler bass and more love songs, “Wildheart” featured more instrumental work. Many of the songs performed by Miguel appeared on the album.

Asia Dunn, a communications and psychology senior, had never been to a concert before seeing Miguel.

“I absolutely loved him. ‘Adorn’ was my favorite song,” she said. “The show was amazing.”

Miguel ended the concert on a positive note. Having encouraged positivity and self-esteem throughout the show, he pled the audience to follow their hearts.

“Allow yourself to dream … big,” he said. “Take yourself to the moon, and I’ll meet you there.”