Cats overwhelm Kentucky State in second exhibition game

By Jordan Ondrof

@jordanondrof

UK came out on top in an overwhelming 111-58 victory over Kentucky State University in the second of two exhibition games.

Not much changed has changed from the first exhibition game against Ottawa. Tyler Ulis continued to make his case that he is one of the best point guards in the country, Jamal Murray put up awe-worthy numbers and Poythress got more confident on his knee as the minutes ticked by.

Ulis ran the game, staying under control, making himself look good, and his team mates around him look better.

“I haven’t seen everyone yet but I think Tyler Ulis is the best guard in the county … by far,” Kentucky State head coach Darnell Williams said said.

The most notable improvement was the full-court press. The press against Ottawa was lack-luster and ineffective, calling into question why head coach John Calipari was seemingly forcing it upon this team. But tonight they showed they were more than capable of running a successful press, forcing 17 turnovers in the game.

The quick guards and the length of the big-men suffocated Kentucky State, creating chaos and turnovers which lead to easy UK baskets.

Derek Willis won the award for biggest impact player off of the bench. It is clear that he is fighting to show Calipari that he deserves some minutes this season, doing it all tonight from fighting for rebounds to making threes.

“All of the sudden he’s (Willis) the first guy you want to put in. He can play the 4 and the 3. Derek is a typical college player. Struggle first couple of years and break through third year. I’m proud of him,” Calipari said.

Calipari stress the important of making free-throws at his press conference on Thursday claiming that he makes the team make “500 free throws a week.”

Poythress seemed to make strides this week with his confidence on his knee. He played more aggressive, like his old self, blocking shots and posterizing opposing teams with his monster dunks.

Skal Labissiere lead the team in points despite not scoring a single point in the first half. He had an uneventful first half but came out strong in the second half, posting up and usually drawing a foul, finishing with 22 points.

Now that the exhibition games are over, the team will start two  a days this weekend to prepare for their regular season opener against Albany on Friday.