MLK Center mixer brings minority groups together

By Claudia Gonzalez

Free food? Check. Free beverages? Check.

The Martin Luther King Center’s mixer on Tuesday afternoon gave students the opportunity to rub elbows and make connections with some of the university’s faculty and staff.

The smell of chicken tenders permeated the room and drew people together as they stacked their plates with hors d’oeuvres, including chips, spinach artichoke dip and pimento cheese. Water, lemonade and sweet tea streamed into clear plastic cups as conversations sprung out of thin air. Though discussion primarily consisted of serious topics, the atmosphere was casual and welcoming.

The Latino Student Union and Black Student Union co-sponsored the event in room 241 of Blazer Hall. The trio of student organizations put on the event for guests to become more familiar with each other and establish a foundation of respect.

“Being part of an under-represented population, we feel it is important that we create opportunities for under-represented students, faculty and staff to be able to connect with each other,” said Kahlil Baker, director of the MLK Center.

Students, faculty and staff participated in introductions and short, interactive activities with each other.

Group discussions concerned issues of particular importance to Black and Hispanic students, focusing on support for each other.

“The big strength of today’s events was the discussion around how many students feel along with staff to express genuine concerns around campus and outside in their respective social lives,” said Myles Moore, a clinical leadership and management senior.

While the mixer mainly attracted and focused on Black and Hispanic members of the university’s population, it was open for anyone to participate and a few Middle Eastern students attended.

Baker said he ultimately hopes attendees will be able to network with each other and connect over majors, interests and experiences while they are at UK.