Volleyball set to face Texas A&M in rubber match

By Caitlin Schwartz

The No. 10 UK volleyball team earned its second sweep of the weekend (25-20, 25-18, 25-23) over the Ole Miss Rebels Sunday afternoon in Oxford, Miss.

The excellent defensive performance continued against the Rebels, as sophomore Kaz Brown lead UK’s defense at the net with a match-high 10 blocks while adding five kills.

Sophomore Ashley Dusek out did herself again, registering 15 digs and adding three service aces in the match. Freshman Olivia Dailey served as a defensive specialist for the second game in a row, ending the game with six digs and an ace.

The team had 38 digs while holding Ole Miss to .117 hitting, which is the second lowest percentage the Cats have held an opponent to this season.

Kentucky advances to 15-6 on the season and 7-1 in SEC play after the sweep.

The Cats will have to continue their high dose of defense in order to get their third win in a row and eighth conference win, as they resume conference play on Friday against the Texas A&M’s Aggies.

UK faced the Aggies twice last season: the first time sweeping them 3-0 and losing the second matchup 3-1.

Texas A&M is 13-6 on the season and 6-2 in SEC play. The Aggies won its fourth consecutive match against LSU with a sweep, its third sweep of the last four games. The wins were also against Mississippi State, Alabama and South Carolina. The Cats also beat all three of those teams.

Kentucky will host Texas A&M on Friday, Oct. 30 in Memorial Coliseum.