Kentucky’s unique flavors on display at Rupp Arena

Tayler Riley

The smell of pumpkin and coffee filled the air as visitors filed  into the double doors of Rupp Arena on Saturday morning.

Many sets of eyes scanned the room for something new and interesting, occasionally glancing upon a food booth with peach bourbon white chocolate candied truffles or the variety of beer cheese the Kentucky Proud Incredible Food Show had to offer. As hundreds of people made their way into the arena, they were welcomed by a breakfast prepared by Sullivan University.

Known for its agriculture industry, Kentucky has a culture with food sewn deep into its fabric — and for the last six years, Kentucky Proud has put many Kentucky vendors on display in the Incredible Food Show. Beer tastings, wine tastings, cheese spreads, country sorghum, pan fried sausage, pulled pork, bison and lamb stew, were just a few of the many things that vendors had prepared for sampling in the Marketplace.

Though it functions as a trade show for Kentucky Proud food vendors, there were also culinary seminars and cooking demonstrations for the audience to view.

Carla Hall, host of ABC’s “The Chew,” made a guest appearance and performed two demonstrations, cooking up a tomato-based turkey stew and squashed grits.

With over 130 food booths, Kentucky Proud faced many hungry Kentuckians who were ready to dive in to the sea of southern cooking. It was no surprise that liquor — Kentucky bourbon, to be exact – served as a main ingredient in many of the booths’ creations.

“I don’t drink but rather, I eat my alcohol,”  Hall said.

Barry and Barbara Sumner, owners of Louisville’s Kandies of Kentucky got in the candy business after they retired from their jobs and traveled through different parts of Europe to discover new ingredients for their candies.

Barry Sumner laughed as he spoke about their main ingredient, a lemon-flavored Italian liqeur, but he said he ultimately wants his customers to discover a different, unique approach to chocolate candies.

“You take limoncello, pour it in a shot glass and take it just like a shot,” he said. “It’s wonderful. And it’s good for medicinal purposes too.”

This year’s Incredible Food Show marked the second time Jim Holzman visited and held a booth for Martine’s Pastries, a shop that specializes in cakes and pastries. He co-owns the business with his wife, Martine.

Holzman said the event is important because it puts a spotlight on local businesses and allows the businesses to attract more customers, but it also gives the audience a glimpse into a unique side of Kentucky.

// <![CDATA[</p><p>_psEmbed(“http://kykernel.photoshelter.com”);</p><p>// ]]>